Hindmarsh Island (Kumarangk in Ngarrindjeri dialect)
Located in South Australia, Hindmarsh Island is approx. 19km long and 9km wide at its widest.
The first European to set foot on Hindmarsh Island was Captain Charles Sturt in 1830. Sturt used the Island as a viewing point and from there he sighted the Murray Mouth. The following year (1831) Captain Collet Barker surveyed the Murray Mouth but was killed by Indigenous Australians after swimming across the mouth.
The island was named by Captain John William Dundas Blenkinsop in 1837 after South Australias first Governor, Sir John Hindmarsh.
In 1849 Doctor Rankine was granted an occupational licence to become the island’s first grazier. 1854 Charles Price purchased a large portion of the island.
In the 1850’s a flour Mill was constructed. In 1857 a signal mast was erected at Barker Knoll to convey safe passage condition messages to vessels wishing to pass through the mouth. A public ferry began operations between Goolwa and the island in 1858. In the same year the first inter colonial telegraph line passed through the island to link Adelaide with Melbourne. In 1861 the cemetery was surveyed. In 1900 a cheese factory was built.
Hereford cattle and Shropshire sheep arrived in South Australia in 1868, when Charles Price introduced them onto the island.
Information from wikipedia.com