The area I live in is about to have a Federal by-election. Our former member moved onto other things 12 months after the election. Our seat of Mayo was a very safe seat for the Liberal Party with former foreign minister Alexander Downer holding the seat for many years.
Now that we have a by-election there has been much speculation and politicing with 11 candidates standing for election , many are independants, not affiliated with any major political party. Most have been running a campaign on the lack of water in our area.
I emailed 10 of the candidates (who had email addresses) asking specific questions on non-water related issues.
Some of my questions asked
- about what they would do for our area if elected.
- The price of petrol in country areas and how we have no competition.
- No alternative method of transport other than a car because of our rural location.
- Lack of doctors and waiting times to see your doctor
- Shortage of dentists
- Food prices
- Property values and the rise in rates
- Internet speed (and the lack of) and pricing monoploy in the country
- Removal of govt. infrastructure offices to the capital city instead of having a small office in country areas
By the time of the election on 6th September 2008 I had 4 answers. Two from political party candidates and two from independant candidates.
Candidates for the by-election (in order on ballot paper). Those that have replied are highlighted in bold and italic
|The Greens||Lynton Vonow|
|Conservatives for Climate and Environment||Rachael Barons|
|One Nation||Mathew Keizer|
|Australian Democrats||Andrew Castrique|
|Independent||Malcolm Ronald King|
|Family First Party||Bob Day|
|D.L.P. – Democratic Labor Party||David McCabe|